Do medical schools prefer a Committee Letter? Find out by clicking here
FIU students who have a substantial record of academic work completed, in residence, are eligible to compile a file of their preparation for their chosen professional career with The Office of Pre-Health Professions Advising. Students seeking to qualify for an interview with the PPAEC must maintain a GPA suitable for competitive application to their profession. In addition, students are expected to provide required information to the The Office of Pre-Health Professions Advising including:
- 6 Faculty Evaluations (at least 4 from science faculty, minimum of 1 from a non-science faculty who taught you a 3 credits or more class; no TA's only permanent,* full-time FIU faculty*)
- 3-5 Letters of Recommendation (permanent, full-time FIU faculty)
- 2 from science faculty required
- 1 from non-science faculty required (i.e. S.S. or Humanities)
- Research mentor, PI, etc. (If applicable)
- Many professional schools require a letter from a Physician, Dentist, Optometrist, Physician Assistant or Veterinarian
+ Completed FIU Personal History Questionnaire with Personal Statement attached (one-sided copies only)
- Excel Spreadsheet of all courses calculating GPA
- Primary Application (One-sided copies of AMCAS, AADSAS, etc.)
- For AMCAS: Please bring a complete copy of the application (landscape orientation) and the Letter Request Form (portrait orientation) directed to Dr. Landrum at email@example.com.
- For AACOMAS: Please bring the first four pages of the application.
- A copy of all unofficial transcripts (Except FIU)
- Copy of official report of Exam Scores (MCAT, DAT, etc.)
- Fee ($65.00, check or money order only)
Students who will not have earned a baccalaureate degree prior to the planned date of their matriculation in professional school may have their interview deferred for a subsequent year when they meet this requirement. This requirement will not be applied to Post-Baccalaureate students who have completed a previous bachelor's degree. Post-Baccalaureate students are expected to fulfill all of the other requirements for a PPAEC interview.
An Advisor's letter will be provided to students in certain situations. If they fall short of the requirements for the PPAEC interview in one area but have a compelling file in all other ways the Director of the Office of Pre-Health Professions Advising may elect to write an Advisor's letter.
GPA and Entrance Exam Requirements for a PPAEC Interview:
- GPA: > 3.3 in both Science and Overall GPA's (Medical School Applicants)
- GPA: > 3.0 in both Science and Overall GPA's (Dental, Physician Assistant, Optometry, Veterinary, Podiatry, Pharmacy Applicants)
- Entrance Exams:
- MCAT> 504 (No individual score lower than a 125)
- DAT > 18 (In both Total Science and Academic Average scores)
- OAT > 300
- GRE > 302